Monday, April 26, 2010

Siargao wipeouts


Siargao earned its place as one of the surfing hotspots in the Philippines and in the world not only because of the awesome waves found on the island, but also because of the laid-back lifestyle that the 'surfing town' is known for.

I had the opportunity to visit the island, and try out the world-famous waves at Cloud Nine, which, we were told, are comparable to some of the swells found in Hawaii.

And yes, I had my fair share of wipe-outs, before I got the hang of keeping my balance and staying on the surf board for a grand total of 5 seconds. Not enough time for me to do a Hang Ten. Maybe next time.

The resort we stayed in was as laid-back as you can imagine. The number of the rooms was just enough for a small group, and the restaurant/lobby area offers a nice vista of the sea.

If surfing is not your thing, you can always take a stroll on the beach and do a bit of beach-combing, when the tide is low, particularly early in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment