Thursday, January 10, 2013

How to enjoy riding a mountain bike for the first time

Riding for the first time

I think there are no hard and fast rules on how to enjoy riding the mountain bike as a first-timer, but for me, my very first mountain bike ride was enjoyable because I was with a group of close family and friends.

The experience was more than just a bike ride: it became a bonding moment.

Benefits of riding a mountain bike

There are some who might consider that it is a tad late for someone in his 40s to take mountain biking. Aside from being a very physically taxing activity, mountain biking also poses danger to riders from spill overs, getting blind-sided, or tumbling over.

For me, however, the benefits definitely outweigh the risks. Riding the mountain bike is great for cardio and for you legs. It is also a great overall workout for your whole body because biking is more than just pedaling like crazy.

How to enjoy the ride

So here's my own take on how to enjoy the ride based on my experience.

There I was one fine day in October joining a few friends and cousins on my very first mountain bike ride. I was on a borrowed bike and adjustments had to be made. I made sure I had a helmet, comfortable clothes, a water bottle full of water, and of course my sunglasses to protect my eyes.




The mountain bike course


We set our course in a nice but still challenging route in my hometown of Sta. Rosa, Nueva Ecija, going to the neighboring town of Palayan City. Our destination will be Tanawan, a nice, uphill spot where locals often go to enjoy a panoramic view of surrounding towns and the lush green carpet of rice fields.

We rolled out in our mountain bikes early and since most of us are newbies, we rode at a leisurely pace. The cool, early morning breeze made for a very relaxing ride as we passed by quaint houses, farms, orchards, and endless rice fields spanning through the horizon.

We passed by the military reserve of Fort Magsaysay and marveled at surrounding hills and valleys. The roads are almost empty save for the occasional vehicle or tricycle. Good thing we rode off early.

As a first-timer, I enjoyed the ride immensely, and often, I find myself lagging behind the group because I was really taking my time to enjoy the sights and sounds.

The ride was enjoyable that I almost did not notice that we have already logged in a significant number of kilometers (for newbies) and that we are almost at our destination.

Pit stop

We had our first pit stop at a nice sari-sari store by the road. We stayed longer than we should have because my uncle knows the owner of the store and the customary "kumustahan" had to be made between friends. We parked our mountain bikes near the store.


After a few minutes, we set off again to our next stop.

Tanawan in Palayan City

Although we we’re not able to ride the last kilometer or two going to Tanawan (the road was just too steep for us), it was a very satisfying ride that is worth repeating.

We stayed for almost an hour taking pictures, eating our snacks and just enjoying the view at Tanawan while our bikes are “parked” near a nipa hut atop a gently sloping cliff.

Ride back

The ride back was even faster, because there were downhills that allowed us to go a bit faster. The end of the day was indeed satisfying and all of us were looking forward to another ride.