Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Reviving my travel diary

Reviving my blog

It is difficult to revive a blog after so many years of not updating it.

At first, I wanted this to be a simple journal and a way for me to write about places I have been to. The goal  back then was to have an avenue to write and gather my thoughts.

I started this blog during the time that I was leaving the Philippines to work and live abroad way back in 2009. I thought back then that writing was also a way to fend off boredom, and to make it easier for me to transition as an overseas worker.

Diary of a journalist

Also, a majority of what I wrote here came from my travels as a journalist. I never fancy myself as a travel writer and most of the previous posts were written from my perspective as a journalist.

A lot has changed since then. I am now based in Manila, and will probably won't go out of the country again to work. I still write (and edit) for a living, and from time to time, I still pitch news stories as a contributor. The bulk of my time is spent as a freelance worker, juggling a few writing and editing jobs.

A continuing journey

I guess the reason I want to revive this blog is to continue writing about my travels (and everything in between) beyond the perspective of a journalist. The dynamics have changed through the years. I now have three (almost) grown up children with my wife of 20-plus years.

I am fortunate that most of the travelling I have been doing now is with the family and close friends. I no longer see myself travelling alone or leaving the country to work abroad anytime soon.