Friday, May 14, 2010

A stroll in downtown Burlington

My first trip to the United States was about five years ago.

I was excited about the trip not just because it was my first time to cover an event outside Asia, but also because I have planned a nice little side-trip to visit a cousin and stay in his house for a few days.

I decided to extend my stay in the US, after completing my coverage assignment in Seattle, Washington. I also had a nice, but rather brief time in downtown Seattle, but that would be another story.

I was going to visit my cousin and his family who lived in Burlington, Vermont, a good 8 to 9 hours away from Seattle.

At the first chance, I took the first flight out of Seattle.

My dear cousin, who graciously shouldered my ticket and co-planned my itinerary, would be meeting me at the airport.

It was always part of my plan to do a bit of checking on the place I would be going to. I was able to do a quick check on Seattle, but I never really had the chance to check Burlington.

I really did not know what to expect about Burlington, considering that the city is not as high-profile as, say, Las Vegas or New York.


The airport in Burlington is not as sprawling or as expansive as JFK or LAX, but there is a 'homey,' uncrowded vibe about the place.

My cousin's house was just a few minutes away from the airport and we were soon driving along a wide highway to a tree-lined neighborhood going to his house.

My cousin and his family were gracious enough to take me in downtown Burlington one sunny day.

Burlington is mostly sub-urban with nice, clean roads, tree-lined city streets, a picturesque neighborhood of houses, a small downtown area, and a sea port.

We passed by university buildings with interesting architectural styles blending seamlessly with the surrounding trees, which have begun shedding their leaves as autumn was coming.

We visited a nice plaza in front of a church with a simple steeple. We took a stroll along some the cobblestone alleys and streets, passing by stores and shops.
We stayed for a while in the small port in a nice harbor viewing the surrounding 'islands.'

And to top it all off, we had a nice quiet time at Ben & Jerry's, the iconic ice cream house. My then four-year old nephew was gleaming with delight as we entered Ben & Jerry's.

I felt like a four-year old too, as I excitedly waited for my 'chunkey monkey' to arrive.

During the night, me and my cousin had a nice barbecue, and a few beers to cap off that interesting and memorable day.

No comments:

Post a Comment