Saturday, June 5, 2010

Travel to Angeles City and try the ultralight

If you have a fear of flying, and you want to overcome this fear, then flying in an ultralight might be the cure.

What you can do is travel to Angeles City in Pampanga and visit the Angeles City Flying Club (ACFC) for an unforgettable adrenaline rush.

At first glance, you will see that the ultralight is nothing more than a glider with a small motor and a huge propeller attached to it.

So there I was lining up to wait for my turn to ride in one of these ultralights. I was with colleagues and we were at the ACFC, participating in an Amazing Race-like challenge where one of the legs of the race required us to ride an ultralight.

I thought I was lucky that my designated pilot was one of the founders of the ACFC.

Before it was my turn, I watched this pilot execute funky maneuvers such as shooting straight up and dropping straight down in midair.

The jolly fellow gave me a reassuring smile as I strap on my seat belt and put on a headset. The headset does two things; one, block the noise and two, allow me and the pilot to talk to each other.

The takeoff was very short. And soon, we were airborne.

I did not take out my cellular phone to take a selfie, remembering that it would be disastrous if somehow the device would slam onto the propeller.

At 300 feet, I saw the small silhouette of the ultralight casting its shadow to the fields below.

The surrounding area was mostly flat terrain. Farms, plantations, and picket fences can be seen. It was serene, although the noise of the motor can still be heard, as we ascended higher.

At around 600 feet, the jolly pilot asked me if I was “ready.” I said "Yes," without really knowing what he meant.

Then it happened. First, he pulled the throttle up. I felt the G force (the experience was like having a concrete block pushing down my chest) for a few seconds as the ultralight went straight up. The gauge read 800 feet. The pilot then leveled the ultralight.

After leveling, the unthinkable happened: the propeller and engine became dead silent!

Sensing my apprehension, the pilot said he was just putting the engine on “neutral.”

I haven’t really recovered from the G force experience yet when the pilot suddenly revved up the engine, and jerked the throttle downward.

The ultralight immediately nosedived.

Terrified and excited at the same time, I was actually facing down at the ground below. I saw the ground below rushing toward me alarmingly fast and I felt the adrenaline rush.

The pilot then quickly leveled the throttle to "correct" the ultralight.

I took a quick glance at the gauge and saw that from 800 feet, the ultralight went down to 400 feet in a matter of seconds.

From G to negative G in a few seconds. It was unlike any roller-coaster ride.

I thought I’d spill my guts out and throw up, but it was over soon.

The ultralight landed smoothly and taxied for a few seconds along the short, grassy runway.

Fortunately, my legs did not turn to jelly as I disembarked from the ultralight.

And I had to try it again.