Wednesday, May 25, 2011

My Saudi Arabia sojourn (Part II)

It was the onset of the summer season of 2009 when I got to Saudi Arabia to work for a year. I immediately felt the suffocating heat whenever I went outdoors.

Thankfully, I did most of my work from my computer in a moderately large office cubicle I share with a few other Filipinos. The first few weeks allowed me to adjust to the working conditions and office culture.

The company employs many Filipinos, as well as Saudi Arabs, Palestines, a Venezuelan, a Nigerian, and quite a number of Indians, Bangladeshi, and Pakistani, among others.
To my relief, the company is a bit lax when it comes to office formalities. There is no bundy clock, but office workers do follow a more or less 7am to 5pm schedule. Employees, especially when not busy on a project, are free to mill around.

I soon found out that the “work cycle” involves a lot of free time, but when work does come in, everyone would be busy. It is also good to note that the company is output oriented.

I am not good at ranting about work, but I found it fascinating how some office employees, particularly those in the lower rung, tend to emphasize their perceived importance in the company, which I think is only natural.

The weekend starts on a Wednesday, when work is only half-day, until Thursday and Friday where there is no work at all. Interestingly, the work week starts on a Saturday.

Most foreign workers have to make this adjustment because as a Muslim country, Saudi Arabia observes Thursday and Friday as its rest days.

My work week was mostly uneventful, and for a good half of 2009, my routine is mostly ordinary and regular.

No comments:

Post a Comment