Monday, February 6, 2012

Surfing in San Juan, La Union

It may not be as high-profile as Siargao, but San Juan in Urbiztondo, La Union is steadily becoming a surfer's paradise.

The rates are pretty reasonable and the surfing instructors are very friendly. The waves are about 4- to 5-foot high and the swells are relatively mild.

Funny though is that I was not even able to surf the San Juan surf.

It was a family trip, and the very first time that I'll be introducing my then 14-year-old son to surfing. The plan was for me to encourage him to try something new, beyond video games and basketball.

I was beside him while the surfing instructor gave him the basics. And yes, being a doting dad, I was pretty nervous. Can he handle the waves? Can he stay upright and not crash? Will he enjoy the experience?

After a few minutes, my son was ready to go. I saw excitement in the eyes of my boy as he started making his way to beach, with the surfing instructor tagging along. His deceptively reed-thin frame look even more frail as he wore the rash guard, a kind of surfer's garment meant to protect his torso from the surfboard.

I always knew my son was athletic, despite his seemingly frail frame. But seeing him go and ride the wave--at his very first try--made his dad proud.

The hour whizzed by and before I knew it, the surfing was over. But for my son, it was just the beginning.