Sunday, June 30, 2019

Reasons why people go into freelancing

There was a time when you had to take an official leave from work to be able to travel and relax. With the emergence of the mobile worker and opportunities for freelancing arrangements, it has now become possible to travel and still do some work.

There are many pros and cons when it comes to freelancing. On one hand, you have control of the work hours that you want to render or be selective of the projects you have to take. On the other hand however, freelancing does not guarantee a steady income and does not provide other benefits that a full-time employment may bring.

In my case, I like freelance writing and here are my reasons:

I like to work at home and spend more time with family
A no-brainer. I like to work at home and spend more time with family which is good if you’re a dad to three almost grown-up kids.

I do not like to commute
I don’t like traffic, which unfortunately, is a daily challenge if you live and work in the city. Commuting can be very draining and can zap that creativity even before you set foot in the office.

I don’t like a 9 to 5 routine
I have nothing against people with regular jobs. For many years, I once had a few 9-to-5 jobs too, but nothing beats managing my own time and working at my own pace.

I like to travel
A few months ago, I had blast writing about “travel,” while I was actually on a road trip with family.





I work best when I’m alone
Freelancer writers are often thought of as these nerds curled up in a tiny corner typing away. This is not untrue, and some (including myself), are often very productive while working alone while in their jammies.

I don’t like do the same thing over and over again
As a freelance writer, I sometimes don’t necessarily like what I write. However, I can always anticipate that the next writing gig will be something new.

I like to juggle different projects
The magic phrase for freelancers is “time management.” I like to believe I have it figured out and thus, juggling a few gigs here and there becomes an enjoyable experience.

I like to challenge myself
Freelance writing challenges me to go out of my comfort zone. As a freelance writer, I am compelled to write about things that I have zero knowledge on. I once wrote a product review of a conveyor belt and it took me three cups of coffee before I came up with a fairly decent copy.

So there. My Top 20 reasons why I became a freelance writer. What are yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment