Friday, April 30, 2010

The sari-sari store in the middle of an island


We boarded the RO-RO (roll on, roll off) ferry to Camiguin from Cebu. It was my first time to ride the so-called nautical highway.

I distinctly remember being a bit anxious that day though, because I needed to access my email and do a bit of work. Despite the assurance that there is an internet café somewhere on the island, I was a bit bothered.

Thinking back, I probably could have enjoyed the trip more have I not preoccupied myself thinking about the daily chores I needed to do.

The RO-RO trip was pretty amazing, although it was a bit long. It took us 3 hours from the jump-off point to reach the small port in Camiguin.

‘Enchanting’ would be an apt word to describe Camiguin. The island typifies rural living. I would not call the island ‘unspoiled,’ as the island is steadily becoming another destination of choice for local and foreign tourists.

The quaint port is near a market, and the resort we stayed in was a good 20 minutes away.

We stayed in a nice bahay kubo inspired cottage with a nice veranda.

I consider the island hopping the next day as the highlight of the trip. We went to a nice island, which looked more like a sandbar. After a few hours wading in the crystal-clear blue water, we had a few rounds of ice-cold beer which we got from a nice makeshift sari-sari store standing in the sandbar.

You can say the store was misplaced, but hey, nobody complained.

We talked and had a few rounds until dusk enjoying the breeze and the picturesque sunset.

I clearly remember though that despite the gaily atmosphere, there was this nagging thought that I might not be able to access my email, file my stories, and do my website editing chores.

The next day, my worries all but disappeared because, yes, there was indeed an internet café and everything worked out just fine.


Postscripts: Interesting facts

A dear friend told me that SEAIR, one of the most popular airline carriers for local tourists, has just celebrated its 15th year in service. Here are a few interesting facts about SEAIR.

• South East Asian Airlines (SEAIR) was set up in 1995 with two nine-seater airplanes. Aside from flying passengers then, the airline also transported light cargo such as chicken and fish.
• SEAIR remains committed to Mindanao (whereas other airlines have abandoned operations in that region), offering flights to remote Tawi-Tawi, Jolo and Zamboanga to help boost commerce and trade operations.
• SEAIR has invested over six years in its Mindanao operations and deployment of planes -- with or without full passenger load.
• In 2004, SEAIR reached the 1 million passenger mark.
• In 2005, SEAIR introduced the state-of-the-art Dornier 328.The Dornier 328 can fly to Caticlan (Boracay) in 35 minutes.
• SEAIR is still headquartered in Clark and is the only airline to do so. It is the second oldest airline in the Philippines.
• SEAIR offered flights to the most destinations in Palawan: Busuanga, El Nido, Taytay, Puerto Princesa and Cuyo.
• SEAIR currently flies to 12 local destinations -- Clark, Caticlan (Boracay), Cebu, Manila, Basco (Batanes), El Nido, Tablas (Romblon), Marinduque, San Fernando (La Union), Zamboanga, Jolo and Tawi-tawi.

No comments:

Post a Comment