Thursday, April 29, 2010

The cabana at the Shangri-la

Back in 1996, I was with a group of journalists attending an event in Shangri-la Mactan in Cebu. It was my first time to visit the high-end resort hotel and nothing really fascinating caught my eye.

It did not help that the resort was still being developed during that year. I clearly remember that one wing of the hotel was still being constructed.

My second time to visit, after a few years, however totally changed my view of Shangri-la. The resort has become picture-perfect, with a really huge swimming pool, a sprawling grass-covered lawn, and a white-sand beach that is very similar to Boracay. Rumor has it that the sand came directly from Boracay, shipped to the island by the tons.

The rooms all have a view. The resort has a world-class spa, and numerous restaurants. Entertainment facilities abound, and children have several activities to choose from.

What I like the most however is the small cabana located far out from from one of the restaurants. The cabana is a few minutes walk, and is perfect for a nice night cap.

The walk way leading up to the cabana is made of gleaming and polished logs, with short lamp posts from each side.

The small group I was had a nice time exchanging stories amid a background of city lights from afar and the soothing sound of ocean waves.

It is pretty easy for me to dig from memory some of the most unforgettable and beautiful places all across the Philippines. Shangri-la Mactan is one of these places.

The high-end resort, which may seem to cater to affluent local tourists and foreigners, continues to be on my top list of places to visit with my family.

And I hope we can make that visit very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment